Fiscal Analysis Model for Early Childhood Services
How can you support early learning, healthy children and family supports if you don’t have all the information?
The New York State Fiscal Analysis Model for Early Childhood Services (Fiscal Model) can support the work of fiscal and policy makers, and people who are interested in strategic planning to support an early childhood system for children birth to five and their families. The ECAC collaborated with the New York State Kid’s Well-being Indicators Clearinghouse (KWIC) team to launch the Fiscal Model and to demonstrate state data tools to support fiscal, policy and long range planning for children and families initiatives within New York. Below are materials that can help you get starte!
New York Public Welfare Association Annual Winter Conference (1/27/16): Planning for Services Using KWIC data and the NYS Fiscal Model Presentation Material
Infographics from Schuyler Center for Analysis and Advocacy
- Webinar #1: Launch of the (Fiscal Model) demonstrating how to develop fiscal and policy analysis, understand the methodology and data contained in the Fiscal Model and how to calculate return on investment (ROI). Click here for recording.
- Webinar #2: Demonstrated how to use New York State’s data tools: Kid’s Well-being Indicators Clearinghouse (KWIC) and the Fiscal Model for developing programs and services focusing on early childhood and home visiting. During the webinar presenters demonstrated how to use the two data tools to develop: Fiscal analysis; Policy analysis; and Long-term strategic planning. Click here for recording.
- Webinar #3: This webinar demonstrated how to develop a fiscal analysis focusing on two policy questions: What is the projected funding level to support an Universal Home Visiting Program?; and What is the maximum funding amount if all 4-year olds were enrolled in Universal Prekindergarten programs? Click here for recording. Training briefs for the use of the New York State Fiscal Analysis Model for Early Childhood Services:
- Webinar Handouts:
- PowerPoints for Webinar: Webinar #1, Webinar #2, and Webinar #3
- New York State Universal Prekindergarten Rate per Student
- New York's Prekindergarten Programs at a Glance
Technical Manuals and Briefing Documents
The technical manuals provides information on project overview, methodology for computing per unit fiscals, an understanding of data collection, features and navigation tips for using the model, and descriptions for each program and service delivery included in the Fiscal Model.
The briefing documents will demonstrate how the Fiscal Model can be used to develop policies and fiscal analysis related to:
- A look at New York's Early Childhood Fiscal Model: Early Childhood System Brief
- A look at the New York State’s Home Visiting Programs
- New York State Fiscal Analysis Model for Early Childhood Services Brief: A Methodology to determine projected funding level to support a Universal Home Visiting Program
- A look at the New York State’s Early Childhood Fiscal Model - Return on Investment Brief